Sales Enquiries

If you are thinking of booking a holiday or just need some general advice, call:

0203 451 2667

Call centre opening times

Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 9:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 8:00pm
Sunday 9:30am - 7:30pm

After Sales

If you have already booked a holiday and need to contact us, call:

0203 451 2666

Call centre opening times

Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Help & Support

Already booked with

If you’ve made a booking on our sister website please contact their customer service team who will be able to access your booking and answer any questions you have:

Contact the team


Already booked with - TUI Holidays for Heroes?

Call to discuss your NHS booking

If you have already booked a holiday using and you have a question, please contact our customer service team on:

0203 451 2666

View opening times

Email us your NHS booking queries

If you have a question that is not covered in the FAQ provided below, feel free to email our team:

FAQ Categories

Frequently Asked Questions


Will Brexit affect my holiday?

On 1st January 2021, we’ll no longer be in the 11-month transition period for Britain leaving the European Union. From this date onwards, there will be a few changes to your experience when travelling to Europe, but rest assured, these aren’t as drastic as you might expect.
If you’re going on holiday to a country in either the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland from 1st January 2021, you need to make sure you:

  1. Check there’s enough time on your passport
  2. Have adequate travel insurance
  3. Bring the correct driving documents, if you’re hiring a car

You can read the official UK Brexit guidance on the government website.

During the Coronavirus pandemic, entry requirements for some countries have changed and you may need to prepare for your holiday in advance. Find out everything you need to know about travelling during Covid-19 in our Coronavirus Latest section

Will I still be able to use my current passport?

You don’t need to get a new passport if you’re travelling to Europe from 1st January 2021, as long as your current passport has at least six months left on it and is less than 10 years old. If your passport doesn’t meet these requirements, you may not be able to travel.

Will there be any changes to arriving in EU Countries?

The officers at the border may ask to see your return ticket, from 1st January 2021, when you arrive in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. You might also be asked to prove you have enough money to last your holiday. And, you might need to use a different lane when queuing up on arrival.

Will I need different travel insurance?

Keep an eye on the validity of your European Health Insurance Card – AKA EHIC – from 1 January 2021. You’ll find everything you need to know about EHICs and any post-Brexit requirements on the UK Government’s website. Regardless, we advise that you always have full  travel insurance in place before you go on holiday. You can add  TUI Travel Insurance, underwritten by AXA insurance, to your holiday when you book with us. Or, you can arrange your own travel insurance independently. Please call our team on 0203 451 2666.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU?

For holidays in 2021, you’ll only need a visa for a country in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland if you’re planning to stay for more than 90 days. From 2022, the EU is introducing a European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS). This is a bit like an ESTA that you’d apply for when travelling to the USA. This is not a visa, but you’ll need to register your details before you travel via a quick and easy online form.

Will there be any changes to how long I can go on holiday for?

You can take a holiday of up to 90 days in any 180-day period from 1st January 2021, if you’re travelling to a country in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. If you want to stay for longer than 90 days, you’ll need to apply for a visa, but the rules vary from country to country. You can find out more on the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) website.

Will I need extra driving documents?

Depending on which country you’re travelling to and how long you’re staying, you might need some extra driving documents, including an international driving permit, to drive in EU countries from 1st January 2021. Permits are available for £5.50 from the Post Office. The rules vary from country to country, so it’s worth checking the FCDO website in good time before your holiday.

Will there be changes to mobile data roaming charges?

Charges for using your mobile phone in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland may be different from 1st January 2021. It’s best to check with your mobile phone provider before you travel.

Will there be any changes to my duty free allowance?

From 1st January 2021, the amount of duty-free goods you can bring back with you from EU and non-EU countries – like alcohol and tobacco – will increase. You’ll now be able to buy, for example, a total of 42 litres of beer and 200 cigarettes without having to pay UK duties. Duty charges won’t be added to these goods when you buy them at a UK airport, either. These new changes will apply to England, Scotland and Wales. For more information, visit the UK Government’s website.

Will Brexit affect my package holiday?

Your package holiday won’t be affected by the Brexit transition period drawing to a close. If you’ve got a holiday that’s due to depart from 1st January 2021, or are thinking of planning a holiday, you can rest assured that you can still book a holiday with confidence. For extra peace of mind, as we’re a member of ATOL, if you book a package with us, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations. This means that you’ll have the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided. If you have any questions please contact us.

Will my cruise be affected?

Marella Cruises and TUI River Cruises won’t be affected by the fact that the Brexit transition period is ending. For extra peace of mind, we’re a member of ABTA. This means that if you book your cruise with us, it’s protected and you’ll have the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.